New WordPress Plugin, Get Free Stock Photographs for your Blog

Pictures and images give more life to your blog posts, are more professional, and draw more attention from readers and browsers. But have you ever been frustrated, wanting to use more images to illustrate your posts, but not wanting to spend the money on buying stock photos?

camera100x
The old film camera let out the last century i...

The old film camera on a white background from Photos

But have you ever been frustrated, wanting to use more images to illustrate your posts, but not wanting to spend the money on buying stock photos?  Or, not having time to select them, download them, resize, them, upload them, etc?  I know I have.  Sometimes you can barely make time to write a post in the first place.

A new plugin launched by Crestock Creative Stock Photos may be the solution to this.  This plugin will:

Give you a search interface which you can access through your WordPress admin panel while you are writing posts.  You will be able to search by keyword, for images to match your posts

• Inserting the images into your posts is as simple as drag-and-drop.
  • The images are already sized to fit blogs – between 300 and 400 pixels. (Updated 4:25 pm 12 Oct – Note: you can resize the images to be smaller, by changing the width and height attributes in the html editor of your WordPress “write post” area.  )
  • Give you access to advanced filtering options such as image orientation (portrait vrs landscape) or file type.

You can find out more, and access the plugin download page, at the following link:

Free Stock Images for Your Blog

I hope it’s useful!

– Anna

P.S. – I received an email notification about this plugin release this morning, and decided that I should write a post about it as soon as possible, even though I haven’t had time to answer all of my recent comments yet.  If you left a comment, I haven’t forgotten you!

P.P.S. – This page contains affiliate links to Crestock Creative Stock Photos, but will only have effect if you decide to sign up for a Crestock account through my link and possibly one day buy some stock photos as well.  I am not sure if I am required by the FTC to tell you this with every single affiliate link, 🙂 but for now, why not.  It does seem kind of corny doesn’t it?

, , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

53 Responses to “New WordPress Plugin, Get Free Stock Photographs for your Blog”

1. Stefan
    October 12, 2009 at 3:55 pm #

Personally I prefer to add all of my images manually since I like to change the size and sometimes also crop some parts of the image. This looks like a handy plugin though, but doesn’t 400px sound a bit small to be highest possible?
    .-= Stefan´s last blog ..How to Automatically Back Up Your Computer =-.

2. Anna
    October 12, 2009 at 4:18 pm #

Oh – silly me, I should have mentioned. You can change your size easily, just by changing the width and height attributes in the html editor where you write your post.

The image on this post was inserted using this plugin, but it is sized at about 3/4 it’s original size.

3. Stefan
    October 12, 2009 at 5:03 pm #

Al right. It was the part with “between 300 and 400 pixels” I got on my mind. Noticed you added a update after it now.
    .-= Stefan´s last blog ..How to Automatically Back Up Your Computer =-.

4. Forest
    October 13, 2009 at 1:39 am #

Hey this looks pretty cool, especially handy for niche blogs where you just need to grab an image quickly.

I tried something like this a while back that was a firefox plugin called zemanta, I had to stop using it as I realized it was pulling some illegal images. But this does not seem to cause that issue.

Thanks for the heads up.
    .-= Forest´s last blog ..Michelle Motivated Monday: The Keativ Blogger Award and My Famous Blogger Club Interview =-.

5. Jenny
    October 14, 2009 at 3:49 am #

Well this is certainly handy!! Thanks Anna! 🙂
    .-= Jenny´s last blog ..Internet Marketing Humor For Humpday – The Craigslist Genie: SuperNews! =-.

6. Surender Sharma
    October 14, 2009 at 7:04 am #

No doubt the plugin is really awesome but instead of manually setting the size it’s a bit irritating.
    If you blog with Window live write then why you need the plugin for photo?
    Window live does all the settings by clicking the tabs etc..

7. Anna
    October 14, 2009 at 10:43 am #

@Surender – with any stock photo or image plugin you sometimes have to change the size. I don’t use a lot of Windows Live Writer plugins (just Zemanta) because I would need to establish which could be rusted. I use both Zemanta and this plugin now, as it gives me more options. One thing I like about this plugin is that the photos all come from photographers who have opted in to allow their images to be used. There is no need to worry about legalities. But, you certainly don’t have to use it if you don’t want to!

8. Anna
    October 14, 2009 at 10:43 am #

@Jenny – You’re welcome 🙂 Hope you like it.

9. Anna
    October 14, 2009 at 12:38 pm #

@Forest – I also use Zemanta, but I try to be careful at looking at the image attributes to make sure they say something like “public domain” and not “may be fair use” !!

I agree, this plugin does give one more piece of mind, as in this case, the photographers have agreed to allow their images to be used for this. I think it was a brilliant idea!

10. tom@diy solar power
    October 15, 2009 at 3:58 am #

thanks for highlighting this, is there an email newsletter you subscribe to with updates for this kind of thing? I have been fustrated with images for ages now so this is exactly what i’ve been looking for. In-fact i’ve avoided images until now for exactly this reason but will get this plugin installed today – cheers!
    .-= tom@diy solar power´s last blog ..Why DIY Solar Power Is Becoming Popular =-.

11. Anna
    October 15, 2009 at 9:51 am #

Hi Tom, I am glad you will be able to use this. I’ve started using it and found it extremely helpful.

You can subscribe to this blog at http://feedproxy.google.com/ResidualStreamsOfIncome and to my newsletter (form on the sidebar), so you will be informed of future posts and be able to receive email updates from me as well (if I ever send out a newsletter, lol).
    .-= Anna´s last blog ..Why I Haven’t Posted and the Elephant Who Draws Better than Me =-.

12. San Diego Homes
    October 16, 2009 at 6:19 pm #

This is a great concept. I’ve taken to making special notations on the images that I use in my San Diego real estate blog to let people know that they are free to use the pictures as stock photography of San Diego. I hope that my photos will show up in the WordPress plugin.
    .-= San Diego Homes´s last blog ..San Diego Realtors At Miramar =-.

13. Walter
    October 19, 2009 at 11:52 am #

Thanks for the tip, and I agree with your point that photo hunting as part of the blog writing process. Depending on the post topic, it sometimes takes a good deal of browsing to come up with a picture that fits the bill.
    .-= Walter´s last blog ..What Shovel-Ready Means for Road Construction =-.

14. Ganar dinero
    October 27, 2009 at 4:15 am #

Hi Anna, thnks for the tips to get pictures for the blog, without them it looks a bit plain, especially with a ‘frugal’ design like mine.
    .-= Ganar dinero´s last blog ..Como ganar dinero con Adsense =-.

15. web development cincinnati
    October 27, 2009 at 7:12 am #

Thanks for providing this information.
    This plugin is very helpful for me.

16. tracy@medifast1.com
    October 27, 2009 at 9:38 am #

Finally a truly useful plugin. I struggle to find images for my blog and then there is always the issue of who has the rights to use them.

17. Moshe Lavi
    October 28, 2009 at 5:10 am #

Hey that’s great, it means now we can upload all those premium pictures to our blog without anybody’s permission, this will really save up my time, else I have to work with Photoshop and spend my huge time on it.

18. Karl
    October 30, 2009 at 7:14 pm #

I’m certainly going to be taking a look at this. I currently use the Photo Dropper WordPress Plugin that pulls in Flickr photos but I have found some of the results to be limited.

Thanks for sharing,

Karl

19. Jenny Carson
    November 1, 2009 at 11:53 am #

This is a truly useful plugin! This will make it easier for me to put pics on my posts but without spending more time.
    .-= Jenny Carson´s last blog ..Kenny Chesney: Possibly the Hottest Male Crossover Artist in Country Music Today =-.

20. Mike | WP Themes
    November 4, 2009 at 9:07 am #

Thanks for the tip!

I like to search at Flickr and Photobucket for images and then giving credit to the photo link.
    .-= Mike | WP Themes´s last blog ..WooThemes Themes Giveway Contest from WPThemes.com =-.

21. Jamie Xuereb @Custom
    November 5, 2009 at 4:46 am #

Hey Anna thanks for sharing it, now i can really put up all those premium photos in my website and save my time that i was wasting to design it from Photoshop

22. Jamie Xuereb @Custom Stickers, Australia
    November 9, 2009 at 4:29 am #

Yey, this is really helpful for Niche Blogs, and its relaxing point that those images will be legal to use anywhere, thanks for sharing it, Now i just just need to grab an image quickly.

23. Raza Hassan
    November 10, 2009 at 5:39 am #

yeah i m sure this will help me to add into my Niche blogs, i was looking for such Legal pics that i can put up into my blog or elsewhere so that i can really save up my time for designing arts in Photoshop.

24. shopsite ecommerce
    November 11, 2009 at 11:53 pm #

Thanks for this awesome info. Its a new features of wordpress for me. I will try it.

25. aryanalynai
    November 13, 2009 at 3:03 am #

hi, My question some different , I want to be able to make pictures and add effects a bit like stars and flower and trees and clip art like things to it. I know there must be some good ones out there so can you help.

26. Kay
    November 16, 2009 at 11:34 pm #

Blog can look much expressive and informative when we use particular picture for it. The good news is that new WordPress Plugin, offer free stock photographs for Blogs.

27. David Adams@locksmith berkeley
    November 17, 2009 at 11:38 pm #

it is always worthy to upload all those free but premium images and not to spend money on them, again it is time saving since you do not need spend time on drawing arts in Photoshop
    .-= David Adams@locksmith berkeley´s last blog ..ROR Sitemap for http://www.totalbaylocksmith.com/ =-.

28. Varsity Lakes
    November 18, 2009 at 10:59 pm #

Nobody like to spend money buying stock photos especially when we get the stock for free of cost. Crestock Creative Stock Photos can help for free photo stock.

29. Anna
    November 22, 2009 at 2:55 am #

@Moshe – Glad to know this will come in handy 🙂

30. Eric
    November 22, 2009 at 9:53 pm #

Love it. We are trying to consistently blog on our site, and I always have a hard time finding good photos on Google images. Thanks for the plugin tip!

31. purva
    November 25, 2009 at 11:19 pm #

These photos are really useful for our blogs and i use tem to make my blogs better.

32. Wordpress Magazine Themes
    November 26, 2009 at 7:45 pm #

Wow thanks! I was really having a hard time on where to find free stock photos. Thanks again 🙂
    .-= WordPress Magazine Themes´s last blog ..Sorin Grunge WordPress Magazine Theme =-.

33. Bedroom furniture in Melbourne
    December 2, 2009 at 3:38 am #

Nice plugin provided by you in this post till now i was adding the image manually but now here i got perfect solution.

34. Presentations Expert
    December 12, 2009 at 1:55 am #

Nice plugin. Will help me in future.
    .-= Presentations Expert´s last blog ..Personality Development Programme =-.

35. Pete dzineit
    December 15, 2009 at 8:31 am #

wow, this is awesome, thanks for sharing this, i can really get HD picture for free, i will share this with my friends too who want to add for their websites.

36. my free photoshop tutorials
    December 22, 2009 at 6:18 pm #

i never liked using stock photos, i actually use to scan them back in teh days with the stock booklets, but ya i rather take my own images and use them, but thats just me

37. ImageMac
    December 24, 2009 at 2:42 am #

Thats auctually pretty cool. Thanks for sharing!

38. Tim@The Best List
    December 27, 2009 at 11:40 am #

Anna, this is a really cool idea. You could not be more correct. Often, it takes me as long to put photos on my blog as it does to write the content. I am going to give this a shot and, hopefully, it will be a huge time saver. Thanks for the heads up!
    .-= Tim@The Best List´s last blog ..Roth IRA Best Rates =-.

39. Reco@Linux Magazines
    January 10, 2010 at 7:08 pm #

I have several wordpress blogs I could use this for, thanks.

40. Artin
    January 11, 2010 at 1:06 pm #

Thanks for the plugin

41. Torino Creative
    January 11, 2010 at 1:07 pm #

Great Plugin. This will be very useful for some of my WordPress projects.
    Thanks.
    .-= Torino Creative´s last blog ..Essential Logo Design TorinoTips =-.

42. Sandy
    January 13, 2010 at 1:12 pm #

Same problem for me, if I’m looking for special photos you always have the problem of licenses and copyright. So I decided to create the photos myself – some time ago. So I invested in camera eqiuipment – a little smaller one than shown on your photo 😉
    .-= Sandy´s last blog ..Annuitätendarlehen – eine anschauliche Darstellung =-.

43. Billy
    January 23, 2010 at 8:15 am #

nice plugin… i will take this…
    .-= Billy´s last blog ..Nisan Nismo Skyline#2 =-.

44. fslshzd@cosmetic dental marketing
    January 25, 2010 at 6:55 am #

Its an opportunity that a person can avail himself with an easy pace of work. Thanks Anna for sharing the link as well as informative post.
    .-= fslshzd@cosmetic dental marketing´s last blog ..This is a test post =-.

45. John@ Career Options
    January 27, 2010 at 3:15 am #

One picture is equal to thousand words..nice tips..thanks for sharing!!!

46. Ali R. Khan
    February 4, 2010 at 1:40 am #

This plugin is very nice and really a big time save for frequent bloggers. I’m Using it and it’s really nice.. Thanks Anna

47. sarah@diy solar panels
    February 7, 2010 at 10:05 am #

This looks like a plugin that I may benefit from, as I am currently spending around a dollar a picture, and that is for each post that I put on my blogs, that dollar a picture adds up pretty quick.
    .-= sarah@diy solar panels´s last blog ..How Solar Ovens Work =-.

48. Niche Finder
    February 19, 2010 at 12:06 pm #

This looks really good. How’s it working for people who have used it for awhile? Another commenter said they had trouble with Zemanta and illegal use. Anyone having any problems like that? If not I think I’ll give this one a try.
    .-= Niche Finder´s last blog ..So why is New NIche Finder so focused on the data? =-.

49. prayzie
    March 14, 2010 at 12:49 pm #

Just uploaded and activated this plugin on my wordpress blog. This make things easier for us to upload photos using this plugin. Thanks for sharing it.

50. Kim
    October 3, 2010 at 7:55 am #

Cool! This looks like a good plugin to try. I am going to install it and put it to the test! Thanks Anna!