I originally created this blog so that I could refer friends and family members who wanted to learn how to create a residual income and earn money online. Whether it be through affiliate marketing, Adsense, Pay Per Click, blogging, or whatever the case may be.
The prime reasons that most people fail in their first endeavors to create a long-term residual income online are:
- They get confused
- They get dispersed
- They invest too much money on the wrong things
- They follow random advice of random advertisers who promise to make them rich but just want to sell them something
- They let their email inbox accumulate dozens of email newsletters on how to make money online, which they never read.
- They look for ways to get rich fast without working.
It is a falsehood that one can easily go online, sign up for something, and earn thousands or millions of dollars without working.
It is, however, true that one can invest some time and intelligence into building up assets and streams of income which will eventually create recurring revenue. For example, one could create an army of websites which will eventually produce large quantities of money, on a regular basis, with little work involved. However, one has to create these and this is not an overnight proposition.
To build up such an income stream, it takes time. Once in a while you hear a factual story of someone who has done it quickly. But one has to be willing to research, learn, practice, invest time and energy, and please … have fun while you’re doing it.
One day you might wind up with twenty strong websites which earn hundreds of dollars a day each. Or more.
And yes, anyone with a brain can do this. You don’t have to have tons of money to start. You can be a teenager living in the mountains of the Hindu Kush, or a mom living in Los Angeles. You will need a computer, Internet access, and probably a bank account to receive money into.
Investing a small amount of money to get started will give you far higher chances of success, but is not 100% necessary. I would not recommend starting without investing in the following bare-bones basics:
1. A web hosting account (Get one which allows you to host multiple websites). I started out with Godaddy as it was the least expensive. However, I do not recommend it for a website which is intended for business or income-generating purposes. The time that it takes for webpages to load is very slow, and you will lose a lot of traffic and money that way. It took me a while to realize what was happening, so I checked around online to see what other people had to say. I found that others had similar trouble with loading time, and also had trouble with downtime. This does not work for an income-generating website. You will lose too many visitors that way.
The Webhosts I have found to be the most popular with online entrepreneurs are:
I have used the following Webhosts:
- Godaddy (I do not recommend this host for income-generating sites)
- Blue Host
- Webhosting Buzz (I do not recommend them at all, based on my personal experience)
Of all of the above, the one host I recommend to anyone I know, is Hostgator. Hands down. I have written separate posts on my experiences with webhosts, and why I made this decision.
2. You will need a basic website or blog. Do not get a Free blogger blog. Do not start with a static html site. Do not use one of a million easy website builders out there. Do not pass go – use WordPress. I am referring to a website which uses software that is obtained from WordPress.org (not WordPress.com).
Be sure to use a webhost that has the “Fantastico” feature so you can install WordPress easily. Hostgator and Blue Host do provide this feature.
But if for some reason you really do need to build a static website (or improve on an existing static website) get a good website builder. And add a WordPress blog to the website.
The best inexpensive website builder I have found, in two years of research, is Coffee Cup. Which was under $50 the last time I checked. If you can afford it though, get Dreamweaver Creative Suite 3. You will hug yourself for it later on.
Just get a good, simple manual to start out with, such as Adobe Dreamweaver for Dummies.
But, again, if you are just starting out, I recommend you start with a simple WordPress blog or website.
eBooks on How to Earn Money Online
There are many investments you could make in starting out an online business. In the beginning, its good to keep these to a minimum. But there are a couple of investments I do not recommend you skip. One of these is a good eBook.
You absolutely need to have a good eBook from an experienced entrepreneur, which will get you started in the right direction. You might pay for it, but in my opnion, that is far better than spending a year going around in circles wasting time and money and eventually ending up nowhere.
These are the eBooks I recommend:
Honest Riches by Holly Mann (teaches you step by step, all of the basics and procedures you need to know, to begin earning money online – sanely, honestly, and ethically).
The Master Plan by Charles Heflin (for intermediate study after you know the basics. This is for people who want to rise up from making a few hundred dollars per month or year, to making thousands or millions. It is not that complicated but it does require that you use your brain slightly and that you are willing to do some work).
If you already know the basics on how to make money online, and if you are experienced and actually having success, you might or might not need Honest Riches. But, to be honest, I don’t think anyone who is working online should be without that eBook. Particularly since Honest Riches 3 was released, which is very comprehensive and is essentially 10 eBooks in one, with everything you need to know in order to begin earning money online.)
And I consider that you do need The Master Plan by Charles Heflin, if you are serious about this. However this is not necessarily for a beginner and you might want to get your feet wet and have some simple successes before investing in The Master Plan.
Note: There are a lot of bad eBooks on the market on this subject. And unscrupulous “gurus” who make money off of pretending that they will help others make money, when they are really actually a pretense. I found this not to be the case with the above two E-Books.
Warnings about Getting Started Making Money Online
Do’s and Don’ts:
If you want to get somewhere, here are some things to avoid:
- Avoid spending large amounts of money on random programs instead of following a set plan of action
- Avoid anyone who promotes dishonest methods of making money online. Not just for moral reasons but because you will go nowhere. Anyone who prides themselves on fooling others, on being a “rich jerk,” on getting money for no work, on receiving but giving little in return, etc, should be entirely disregarded.
- Avoid being so afraid to spend a cent that you don’t get anywhere Avoid signing up for millions of email lists and subscription, to the point where you read none of them – even the good ones.
- Avoid anyone who says that you can get rich fast without work.
- Avoid anyone who promises to make you rich fast without work as long as you pay _____
- Avoid confusing people.
- Study and learn Internet Marketing, How to MakeMoney Online, Affiliate Marketing, Work at Home Strategies
- Create Websites based on your passions, properlyresearched before being launched (the data on how is covered in Honest Riches and The Master Plan).
- Persist. Don’t Give Up.
- Work hard.
- Have fun with what you are doing, even if youdon’t make money to begin with.
- Follow a step by step plan.
For beginners I suggest:
- Get Honest Riches by Holly Mann, sign up for a good webhosting account, and practice the techniques discussed in the book.Put some Pay Per Click ads (like Google Adsense) on your sites to begin with.
- Once you are familiar with what you have learned in Honest Riches by Holly Mann, get The Master Plan and follow their instructions.
I will post more information on this blog as time allows. Right now I am up to my ears in my own websites which are not directly related to the subject of Internet Marketing. So I don’t have as much time for this as I would like. But stay tuned. Remember you can subscribe to be informed of future updates.
Meanwhile, the eBooks I mentioned do contain the information on what to do, and how.
These are the eBooks I personally purchased, use, and love. They are my Bibles. They got me off the ground and without them I’d have been clueless. These are the same eBooks I recommend to friends and family who ask me what to do.